Our food no longer is nutritious. Herbicides and pesticides have caused the depletion of nutrients in the soil. But organic farming without toxic chemicals produces more nutritious food.
Organic farming uses mechanical means of weed control
Organic farming protects the soil and adds nutrients to the soil so that nutrition gets into the plants.
Eat only organic foods to gain more nutrition and better health
Grow your own organic food in your own garden
During the last decades there has been a change towards mechanization and homogenization of farming, which uses pesticides, additives, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers and mass-production techniques. All this is clearly affecting mankind’s health, and new diseases are spreading rapidly amongst humans and animals (bird’s flu being the most recent one).
The World Health Organization produces reports to show how the use of chemicals and other products on food, coupled with the manufacturing processes involved, are actually a threat for our health.
If you have space for a few pots or even a small piece of land, it is a wise decision to grow your own organic vegetable garden. Today I’m presenting you with seven reasons for doing this:
1. You will have no additives in your vegetables. Research by organic food associations has shown that additives in our food can cause heart diseases, osteoporosis, migraines and hyperactivity.
2. There will be no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers used. These chemical products are applied to maximize yield with no concern for the quality of the vegetables.
3. Your vegetables will not be genetically modified (GM). GM vegetables have had their genetics modified to increase an attribute of that vegetable such as increasing the shelf life of the vegetable or the sweetness of the fruit. That may sound like a benefit but our bodies do not know how to metabolize "franken" foods. And no one knows what the long term consequences of eating GM foods will be. It is best to just avoid them.
4. Eating your own organic vegetables will be much more healthy for you. They will not contain any of the products or chemicals named above, and they will be much more natural than any ones you would find at the supermarket. Your health will not be at risk because you will then know that nothing has been added to your vegetables.
5. Your own organic vegetables will be much more tasty. The use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, hormones and antibiotics make vegetables grow unnaturally and take the taste away from them. Organic vegetables taste better as their flavor is enhanced.
6. Organic farming is friendly to the environment. Because you won’t use pesticides or other equally harming products on your vegetables, you will not damage the soil or the air with the chemical components.
7. When you grow your own organic vegetables you are contributing to your own self-sustainability and the sustainability of the planet. Small communities have been founded where members exchange products that they grow naturally, thus contributing to create a friendly and better place for us all.
In the end, eating organic products only means that we do not add anything to them than they would naturally have. As you can guess, additives, fertilizers, pesticides or hormones are not components of naturally grown food. To better care for your health, grow your own organic vegetables -and a few pots is all you need.
Do you want to try organic gardening but don't know where to start?
Here is the perfect way to learn to be able to grow your own nutritious food:
The Local Harvest Organic no-till gardening course is intended for both beginner and advanced home gardeners looking to gain food self-sufficiency either in their yard or through container growing. Our course is self-paced and includes personal Q&A support to answer all member questions through the discussion forum and regular live Zoom meeting webinars.